Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Relax and Dine Close to Nature @ Chef Mau

Photo: https://www.facebook.com/ChefmauRE.

     My daughter Trina was about to leave for the US a few days before New Year. She wanted to have lunch at Chef Mau Restaurant and Event Place in Calauan, Laguna, a few minutes away from our house. From here, Trina wanted to go to Los Baños for some last minute shopping. Chef Mau is one of the recent additions to the growing list of restaurants in this part of Laguna. According to accounts, Chef Mau or  Mauro Arjona Jr. started a simple mobile fast food cart in 2004 in San Lorenzo, Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Presently, he owns a chain of restaurants in Manila and Laguna. Dining at Chef Mau is a pleasant experience because of the ambiance and the many choices of food at affordable prices.
Photo of nature's view outside Chef Mau restaurant.

     Unlike the small branch in Liliw, Laguna, this Calauan branch occupies a large, open landscaped-space which adds to the country ambiance that is hard to come by in any restaurant.
Photo of the landscape inside the compound of Chef Mau restaurant.

               It has a main restaurant but cottages are built around the property where guests may choose to dine at their own leisurely pace. Tyler loved the views of the mountain and the rice fields surrounding the restaurant.
Tyler and Trina enjoying the view in one of the cottages.

     Menu. Chef Mau offers a host of dishes that has Spanish, American, Chinese, Japanese and Filipino influences, which only show his versatility as a cook.
Menu showing the available dishes in Chef Mau.

     From the salad bar, we ordered Pinoy Caesar’s Salad with Pork Adobo Flakes and Quail Eggs (below) at ₱120. It was also topped with croutons and parmesan cheese. It tasted fresh and just a little hint of adobo flakes which were not overpowering.
Adobo Salad Photo.

     We also ordered their specialty, Chicken Cordon Bleu (150). It was tender and creamy inside with just the right amount of breading outside. For me, this is a good version of Chicken Gordon Bleu.


 Chicken Cordon Bleu Photo.

     Next on our menu was Hardinera, steamed mixed meats, like meat loaf. The cost was 175. I want my meat tender all the time. But not all meats in this Hardinera were really tender, so this did not get my vote. 
Hardinera Photo.

     Bert, my son-in-law, ordered Lengua Estofado, or ox tongue stewed in tomato sauce. The cost was ₱195. I used to eat this as a child during special occasions. The kids liked this, too.
Lengua Estofado Photo.

     As an Italian fare, we ordered Lasagna with Meat Sauce (₱95). I’m sure the kids enjoyed this, too.
Lasagna with Meat Sauce Photo.

     For dessert, we ordered Cassava Cake with Ice Cream (₱70). I love cassava cake. But when topped with ice cream, I felt like this dessert was robbed of its Filipino flavor which I love. Besides, the cassava was not as tender as I like it to be. So, I still want my cassava cake plain.
Cassava with Ice Cream.
     Trina ordered buko (young coconut) shake for her drink of choice (50). Fresh and nutritious, buko is a favorite drink here and abroad.
Coconut (buko) Shake Photo.
     The servings at Chef Mau were good for one or two persons. So if you have a big appetite, do not order just one of each dish if you intend it for sharing. Over all, it was a satisfying food adventure at Chef Mau Restaurant. We enjoyed the views of the mountains, the landscape of the place and the cheap and delicious foods.
Despedida for Trina and Tyler @ Chef Mau Restaurant.
     Chef Mau Restaurant and Event Place is situated at Brgy. Bangyas, National Highway, Calauan, Laguna, Philippines. You may call them for reservations at telephone no. 0917 507 1798. The restaurant is open from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. You can also find it on https://www.facebook.com/ChefmauRE.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia,

    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for leaving me your comment at Be A Better Blogger. I really appreciate it!

    I'm glad my post hit home with you. I'm sure 2015 will be a great year for you and your blog, and your goal of finding readers who truly appreciate you and your writing will come to fruition. Just keep hanging in there and working hard. It'll happen for you. :-)

    Hope this comment finds you doing well. Thanks again, Tricia!

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,

    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate your help to beginners like us, giving us tips and information on how to improve our craft.

    Your reply gave me more inspiration to continue pounding my keys and come up with articles that my readers will like.

    More power and success to all your endeavours. Thanks.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. English Rich Cake

    ReplyDelete