Monday, December 1, 2014

The Most Interesting Things in the City of Arts and Flowers: Lompoc, Santa Barbara, California

     Some Philippines- and US-based members of our family were in California for the summer. We tried to bond together at the Universal Studios in Hollywood, but we did not find enough time for more bonding moments. So we planned a picnic instead in Gaviota, Santa Barbara, California. This is because my cousin Lori and Aunt Heidi are residents of Lompoc, also in Santa Barbara. They invited me over for a few days to see what ‘rural’ California is all about. This ‘rural’area, as Lori calls it, is a city in Santa Barbara, California. It turned out to be different, but not less of an adventure than the other side of LA. I loved my stay in Lompoc because of its beautiful scenery and flowers, the nice and friendly US-Filipinos and its nearness to important tourist attractions.  
The Lompoc sign as you reach the City. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lompoc_CA_welcome_sign.jpg)
     Lompoc.  When I first arrived at the US immigration in Los Angeles Airport (LAX), the officer asked where I was planning to stay. I answered him, “Lompoc”. And the big, burly, bearded immigration officer asked, “Where is Lompoc?” I asked him back, “You don’t know where it is?” I did my research about Lompoc and later, experienced it first hand.
      Few people may have heard of Lompoc. But if you’re a fan of the movie, The Fast and the Furious (2001), Toretto said he spent "Two years in Lompoc. I'll die before I go back." Later in the same series in 2009, Toretto was sentenced 25 years to life at the Lompoc Prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lompoc,_California).
Welcome sign at the train station.
     From LA, Lompoc may be reached by train. The picture above is near the Surf Station, an Amtrak rail station, west of the city of Lompoc. However, Lori (my cousin) and Satur (Lori’s husband) drove me in their car (below L-R: me, Lori and Satur), a red Mustang with plate named ‘Maton’, Pilipino term for street thug. It took about 2 ½ hours from LA to Lompoc.
Maton is the red mustang that ferried us to Lompoc.

     City of Arts and Flowers. Lompoc is also called the City of Arts and Flowers. As you drive down their field called ‘Valley of Flowers’ during summer, you will witness a profusion of colors (below).  These come from the different varieties of cut flowers and those grown for seeds. They include Sweet Peas, Larkspur, Stock, Marigolds, Sunflowers, Queen Anne's Lace, Bachelor Buttons, Delphinium, among others (http://wikitravel.org/en/Lompoc). Maybe this is why Lori calls Lompoc ‘rural’.
Picture of a Flower Farm in Lompoc. 
(https://ph.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view)

     Friends. As long time residents of Lompoc, Lori and Satur have found strong friendships with other US-Filipino neighbors. Their hobby is to eat Filipino dinner together. When I was there, I was introduced to about 15 US-Filipinos. They were deep into conversation and dining in bowls-and-heaping-bowls of Pinoy dishes: pakbet, lechong kawali, kare-kare, kaldereta, lumpiang shanghai, pansit, etc. I remember Vic was the house owner and everyday host of this event. Their activities did not only include this get-together-dinner each night, I also heard a lot from Lori about other pursuits like dancing, singing in the church choir, joining Philippine Independence day celebrations, among many others. As of this writing, Lori is the President of the Filipino-US community in Lompoc.
The baby of the house. 

     Tourist base. As a hospitable Pinay herself, Lori billeted me in their lovely house. I remember their cat dominating the house and having a special place in their living room, in this photo above, the glass-topped table. Lori’s house became my base as we visited nearby tourist areas of Solvang, Gaviota and San Simeon. More of Lompoc and nearby areas as I plunged head-on in my adventures as featured in other stories in this blog.

     I wouldn’t mind spending my old age in places like Lompoc. The environment is pleasant, the people are kind and hospitable and it is easy to move around to other interesting places.


No comments:

Post a Comment