Monday, January 5, 2015

Kodiak, Alaska: Why I Visited the Last Frontier

     

     Alaska is a tourist destination famous for its glaciers, wildlife and abundant natural beauty. In Alaska, Kodiak was on top of my list. This was because my daughter Trina was based in Kodiak. She was about to graduate with a Master’s degree in Food Science from the University of Alaska. Kodiak may be a far-away island, but the refreshing environment and the amiable people are enough reasons why I miss this island. But where is Kodiak?
Long shot photo of Kodiak from Pillar Mountain.


     Kodiak is part of Southwest Alaska, the 49th US state. Alaska is often referred to as the ‘last frontier’, meaning it was the last state or settlement that was annexed to or explored by the USA. From Kodiak airport, I was picked-up by Trina. We met one of her friends who worked at the airport. I was, at once, star-struck, as the man used to be part of the international TV show, ‘Deadliest Catch’, a documentary series chronicling the real-life high-sea adventures of the Alaskan crab fishermen. This is touted to be “the most deadly profession in the world”. My imagination ran wild. I would be in safe hands with him once my ship got lost in wild waters at sea. Moving on…
Trina (Right) picked me up at the airport; with her friend (middle); and Me (left). 
     From the airport, we proceeded to Kodiak Island. Along the way, I was immediately mesmerized by the pristine beauty of Kodiak. The natural vegetation, the mountains and bodies of water seemed to be untouched by human hands. It was easy to imagine that only God could have made Alaska. Of course, I just came from Las Vegas and Los Angeles, where man had a hand in designing and creating the greatest play grounds that man could think of.  Just a thought: If I were to grow old and weak in a nook on earth, I wouldn’t mind spending the last of my feeble days in Kodiak.
L-R:  Trina and Me overlooking the calm sea, the snowcapped mountain and 
the unpolluted environment of Kodiak.
    Before we finally arrived at Trina’s apartment in Trident Way, Near Island, we passed by Fred Sharoff Bridge that connects Near Island to Kodiak. Trina’s apartment was part of the University of Alaska (Kodiak) housing building for students and staff (below). Trina occupied a furnished two-bed, one-room apartment with living room, kitchen and toilet and bath. It was a comfortable accommodation for a single occupant.
Photo of Trina's apartment, Trident Way, Kodiak
    Trina introduced me to a mix of her international dorm-mates and friends (below). They were a happy bunch, very relaxed and down-to-earth. This gave me peace of mind that Trina was with a group of good people who had, an equally, good future ahead of them.
Trina's friends, Kodiak, Alaska.
    Picture below was taken at the ‘despedida’ party for Trina because she would be leaving Kodiak for Fairbanks to attend her graduation (L-R: Me, Dr. Oliveira, Trina). I remember this picture was taken outside the apartment and I had to go inside immediately because I couldn’t bear the cold temperature outside (5° C).

     Trina’s office, as a graduate assistant to Dr. Oliveira was just further along the road of her apartment. It was a short walking-distance from her apartment.  But before we went to her office, we visited the Kodiak National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (KNOAA). At the lobby, I was greeted by a dinosaur, at least remnants of it, attached to the ceiling (below). I had no idea what it was, but I think this was pre-historic.
Photo of a dinosaur on the ceiling (Above).
    A preserved eagle was also caged (below). We still saw eagles roaming around Kodiak. In fact, eagles were my first wildlife encounter when we passed by the Fred Sharoff Bridge when I arrived.
Photo of a well-preserved eagle (R).

    Still in KNOAA, children were on a field trip where they had fun observing and touching the aquatic animals in the aquarium (below). The kids were from the elementary school in Kodiak.
Photo of children on a field trip to KNOAA.

    Trina’s office as research assistant to Dr. Oliveira was at the Kodiak Seafood and Marine Center (below L-R: Trina and her ex-roommate, Lale). It was very conducive for work with the view of the greenery outside. It was so relaxing, coupled with the cool temperature inside and outside the office.   I was lucky that I was there in summer when temperature was bearable. I noticed the electronic equipment on her desk. Trina said that she was given high-tech gadgets that another office in another University did not provide.
L-R: Trina and her room mate, Lale.
    Trina was able to successfully complete two years of her Master’s degree in Food Science from the University of Alaska. While Kodiak is a far-off island in North America, one may enjoy the clean and refreshing environment and have fun with people sharing the common goal of finishing one’s studies while nurturing friendships. I was comfortable there and wanted to stay, only that, we had to leave for Trina’s graduation ceremonies in Fairbanks, Alaska.
    How I got there: From LAX, I took connecting flights via Alaska Airline to Seattle-Anchorage-Kodiak.  Alaska Air has everyday flights from LA and other parts of the US to Kodiak.

No comments:

Post a Comment